Welcome to Children’s House
After 50 years, we are changing our preschool to a mainly outdoor early childhood education program for children in grades PreK-2. Beginning September 2021 we will serve children 4-7 years of age. Our teachers are creating an outdoor curriculum based on Project Learning Tree, Nature Explore, and Kids Gardening, where children learn through experiences in nature.
Click here to view our COVID-19 procedures and guidelines.
- One of only 6 Nationally Accredited early childhood institutions in Boulder through the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- Child inspired, play based Reggio Emilia and outdoor nature inspired inspired curriculum using the Storybook Journey approach.
- A Boulder County Farm to ECE, and a 5210 Healthy Eating Active Living recognized program.
- Onsite and offsite gardens where children participate in growing the food we eat for snacks.
- Cooking with children is done on a weekly basis as we prepare nutritious snacks together
- Since 2008, we have served children speaking 32 different home languages.
- Founder and Program Director Elaine McCarthy will be returning for the 2021-22 school year. Elaine has been a leader in early childhood education in Boulder, and began with the school in 1992. She was awarded “Educator of the Year” in 2010
- Executive Director Michael Knuckey began in 2005 and was awarded “Educator of the Year” in 2015, making him the second male in Early Childhood Education to receive this honor since inception in 1986.